8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Interesting Gate Problem  (Read 2775 times)

Offline mhanson194

• Novice Member
Interesting Gate Problem
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
I have an 8 yr. old gelding that has been started extremely slow and calm. I have never had any problems going into the arena until this year.

Here is little background info on the horse: He is off the racetrack, extremly athletic, and very intelligent. He started slow work when he was 4, and has progressed to being very competitive at the semi-pro/pro level. He is running about 2 tenths off top competitors, and I believe that once we get this gate issue solved we can cut off that unneeded 2 tenths!

Anyway, he has slowly progressed from being hesitant about entering, to simply walking up to the gate and freezing. He is very addiment about not moving. It is strange as he doesn't throw a fit, just plain won't move. I warm up away from everybody, and hand walk the horse before my run to make sure he is not channeling my nervousness. As soon as I get on, about two people before my turn, he literally starts to shake. Then, he will walk up to the gate, and freeze! I am very frusterated, as I have done everything possible. The horse has been vet checked and adjusted. He has no pain anywhere, and is not overun nor overpracticed. I have not whipped him to get him in, or had anybody try to lead him. I have waited until after a few rodeos and taken him back into the alleys, and he does not care at all. He will stand in there while other people are running with no problems.

As soon as the second and third calls start to come, I get extremely nervous and everything goes down hill. He will walk right in with another horse, but I don't really want to start that habit as I will be hauling alone most of the time. The only thing I can think of is that I am causing the problem. I want to get this solved ASAP and am looking for some advice and other opinions on what can be done!

Thanks.

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Interesting Gate Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
Hi.  Thanks for your question.  You have an usual situation in that you have a colt that was started
correctly, not rushed, isn't hurting and you've been smart enough to do all your homework about the
things you should check. 

I know that you do not want to start a habit of using another horse to keep him quiet.  I can understand
that you may feel that is a crutch for him that would be inconvenient for you as you haul alot by yourself.
However.  This is one of those times I think it might be important to do it for a bit.  And you are doing
that to provide him some positive reassurance that all is well for him in a place that is stressing him out and
must be causing him some anxiety.  What I think your colt has is a bit of stage fright.  I have put this in another
post but I'll repeat it.  What he feels is relevent to what a kid probably feels when he wants to go ride the ferris
wheel for the first time.  "ohhhh I really wanna go ride it"....but when he steps up to hand the man his ticket...
he almost wants to chicken out!!  If you notice...once you get your kid on the "ride" (in the barrel race) per say...
your horse probably does very well, doesn't he?? And as you said...after it is over...you have no issue going back
in the alley the way once a kid rides the carnival ride once, he is ready to go again.  Its very much the same feeling
your horse has. 

I would start with making sure you do everything you can to provide a relaxed feeding program for him---feed him some
B1 crumbles that will help him relax more....make sure the sugar content in your feed isn't too high....maybe also I would
start really watching for signs of the horse having the beginning of some ulcer issues which you can also feed for.  At a serious
race where time is a factor getting in or getting scratched...use the pony horse for company until it gets alittle better.  Perhaps
when the crumbles and/or if it is an ulcer issue--that medication kicks in, you will see a more relaxed horse.  In the meantime...
take a few weekends and go to barrel races and DON'T ENTER.   Go warm him up like you were going to run him, take  him in the alley
during a drag or two, park him, do it a couple of times.....and GO HOME.  Let him realize that everytime you take him somewhere
necessarily doesn't mean he has to worry about running.  Perhaps that might help disapate some of his anxieties as well.

Hope something here helps...and let me know how it is going.  Good luck to you!! and Thanks for your question.

Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder To Success Barrel Clinics
I BELIEVE TOUR 2009

~answering your questions on trainer's corner~ 
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~