8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Lazy 5yr.old  (Read 2249 times)

Offline christy1

• Novice Member
Lazy 5yr.old
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
I have a 5yr. old geld that can flat fly but around the barrels he trys to fall, he is in the correct lead. He stands 15'3 and weighs 1250 lbs.He is so broke that he could go into 1st Level Dressage.Any suggestions?

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
Re: Lazy 5yr.old
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Sounds like he needs to go back to the basics and learn where to put his feet...either that or on some of those big horses turn him out for about 30 days to be a horse and he will naturally learn where his feet are. Kind of like a gangly teen.
KC

Offline Turn3BurnHome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »
I have a lazy 4 yr old that I have seen run and turn on a dime in the field, but when I get on to ride she is super lazy and almost clumsy. Very frustrating!! Is he lazy or just doesn't have good footing around the barrels? If he is lazy, I was given a great suggestion (from comingupthealley), when you work him, get him going right away, work him hard and then end on a positive note. This may help to liven him up. If it is his footing, maybe he just needs time to figure it out.

Offline OldCanChaser

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
my gelding is 17.3.. a 98 speed index.. he can fly. but with you on his back....... he is the laziest thing I have ever seen.. He knows his leads, he will do roll backs, and he can turn.. but he is SO LAZY when you ride him...... I want to take  him back to the track.. and remind him to run.. but im afraid that will mess up all he has learned.. OFF THE TRACK.......He needs to be a dressage horse, im thinking... or heck i dunno.. i want him for my barrel horse, but at this rate he will be 10 and not finished

Offline LUV2RIDE

• Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:23:34 AM »
I too have a now 6 year old that I was hoping to start running barrels on.
But he is so lazy that by the time I am thru riding him I am worn out. It is very frustrating trying to get him to work. Someone told me to carry a quirt when I ride him and whip him to make him go faster.  Even then I can only get him in a fast lope.  I was hoping he would work out because I needed a back up barrel horse.  So now I am concentrating on making him a grandkids horse.  My daughter in law wants to learn to ride so I will put her on him.  Very frustrating!!!!!

Offline christy1

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
Thank You all for your suggestions Its good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem I'm willing to try anything.