8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Know someone that can make a calf roping dummy?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
Know someone that can make a calf roping dummy?
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Through high school and college I had a roping dummy, a homemade wooden one that I practiced on.  He went everywhere with me until he was sadly ran over one day in college.  RIP "Woody".  Anyways, 10 years later, I want to start roping calves again and I need another dummy.  With a new baby and a 3 yr old I need a dummy I can bring up in my yard and rope while staying close to the kiddos but I don't want to put a bale of hay in my backyard.  I did that for a while but it's messy.  A friend of mine's dad made my last dummy, maybe out of a saw horse or something.  This man knew what he was doing...what size to make it, how to make it so that I had to really get my tip down and rope it correct...all of that stuff that I know nothing about.  Anyways, this is what I've decided I really want for Christmas, my gift to myself.  If you know of anyone....preferably around the Fort Worth area, I'm in Burleson....that can make these kind of dummies can you please pm me their info.  Thanks!! : )   
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Know someone that can make a calf roping dummy?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
Why don't you just get one of those heads that go on a bale of hay and attach it to a saw horse? You can get a sawhorse kit at Home Depot or Lowes. 8)

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Yeah....could do that.  But that's not really what I want.  There are men out there who know how to build REALLY good dummies.  With a wooden head that drops down so that if you don't rope it correctly you don't catch.  I want one like that....but since I haven't roped in so long I don't know anyone that can build me one. 

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »
Well then I suggest someone at NRS. Or maybe see if Tyler Magnus has a website and can help you. He's in Llano, I believe. Or maybe call Cross S Arena and speak with Phillip. They have ropings there every week and some of the REALLY BIG ropers come there to practice. They also give lessons. Sorry, that's all I got. I'm not a roper. LOL

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
: )  Thanks for the ideas!! ;)