8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Safechoice Feed Price going up?  (Read 19145 times)

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
Safechoice Feed Price going up?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
My husband just went to the feed store and called me to tell me that Safechoice is soon to go up in price to $18/bag!  That's a big jump from 12 to 18 all at once!  Anyone else heard this? 
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Safechoice Feed Price going up?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
It went up from $12 to $15 around here about 6 months ago. That's why I quit feeding it. I'm now feeding a locally milled pellet that is comparable to Safechoice and only costs me $9.75. Golden Oak Horseman's Pellets milled in DeLeon.

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
Wow, feed is getting crazy.  And I can't get anything in my dang barn sold...so I've got 9 to feed!  Ouch.  Definitley can't pay that for feed.  I started feeding Safechoice back when I had a horse with a lot of stomach issues going on, but I don't have him anymore so I think it's time to start shopping around for something comparable but cheaper.  It's too dang hot to rodeo and I'm too dang broke anyways, so as long as they stay healthy and hold their weight I think they can go to a cheaper feed.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
Mine are doing great on the Horseman's Pellets. They never skipped a beat when I changed them over. You can google Golden Oak Feeds to see if there is a distributor in your area.

Offline multitasker

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
i've been paying $14.40 per bag for Safe Choice, but if it goes up any more i will have to find an alternative Nutrena feed . 

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:05:55 PM »
Same here as all ya'll - just won't pay that price for SafeChoice.

i switched to Nutrena's 12/8 Hi Fat.  I am feeding less and my guys look and feel great.  I pay $10.65/bag with a $0.20 discount. 

I'm gonna tell ya'll what my secret weapon is tho.  Chaffhaye - I call it "drunk alfalfa".  I feed half a flake or more of it in the evening and only a handful of feed.  My guys each get about a half scoop of feed in the mornings only.  I started feeding it as a treat to see if they would eat it and of course they did.  I was so concerned about the hay situation, that I figgered i'd better have a plan - this stuff is $12.50 for 50# bag (about 15 flakes/bag). 
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
that is good to know   I had been thinking about using it this winter   do you feed more of the hay in the winter?

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
I feed two flakes Coastal morning and night.  If it's really cold, they get three flakes each, but i hate to do that cuz if they're not drinking cuz the water's cold they could get into trouble.  why would you limit it to winter? 
Miriam Mize

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »
Thank goodness my dad has a 6 acre coastal patch.  We baled this wk and got 140 bales off of it.  My dad lets us keep the hay as long as we pay the cost of baling and caring for it.  He asked me if I wanted to sell any of it this cutting, usually we sell one round bale cutting then keep one, then sell one square bale cutting and keep one.  But I told him heck no, not this year!!  I'm keeping it all!  My husband and I were out there picking up those 140 bales as soon as the tractor man pulled out.  We had 2 square bales left in the barn before we cut, so it was a huge sigh of relief.

What is Chaffhaye?  I wanted to start feeding a little alfalfa, but with 9 horses I'm spending all I can spend just feeding and shoeing them.  I'm trying to get down to 6 horses, so maybe once a few have sold I'll look into it.     

Offline gunnerrunner

• Novice Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
my horses wont eat safe choice

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
gunnerrunner - I had one that wouldn't either.  That was about the time I woke up and realized how much i was paying for it.

Mandilou - Chaffhaye is fermented alfalfa.  Just google it to see if its available in yr area - try some samples like I did at first - now my guys inhale it.  It's cheaper than plain alfalfa. 
Miriam Mize

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
was just wondering how much chaffhaye you would feed during the winter  I would not limit it was trying to see how much I would need to buy 

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
Safechoice was $15.99 at Tractor Supply today.
**********THORNERANCH.COM**********
http://www.thorneranch.com/

Offline LBrune

• Mega Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
I quit feeding Safechoice 2 years ago because it just kept going up.  Glad I did and never looked back.
I feed Excel made by Buzbees here in Waco.
I have to say it was $7.45 when I first started feeding it two plus years ago.
The last I bought was $10.00
If the economy doesn't get better and fuel prices keep going up I think we will see all feed prices continue to go up.
Thank you Mr. President and our ever screwed up Congress.
Can't wait to see what you bring us in the future.

Offline whoaUsob

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »

several years ago, we switched everything we have (colts on up to 35 yrs old) to Bryant Grain's EE Plus .. its a pellet and their version of Strategy. We also mix alfalfa pellets with it and our horses have, by far, done the best on this. The EE+ will run around $10.50 a bag, depending on where you get it. Once a week, I make a trip to the actual mill or to Horseman Supply in Weatherford and grab it. We also feed their dog food. We are very happy with Bryant Grain