8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Safechoice Feed Price going up?  (Read 19259 times)

Karol

Re: Safechoice Feed Price going up?
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »
This is a little off subject but a friend of mine that lives in Haltom City (Ft Worth) just called freaking out because she went to the feed store to get a roundbale and they want $165/bale! 

I know that diesel is high, but that is just sad.  I know a lot of people who bale their own hay and it does not cost that much.  People screwing the buyer over because they know we need the hay.

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
LORD HAVE MERCY I'M GLAD I DON'T GO THROUGH ALL THAT FEEDING THING  YOU'LL GO THRU.  TAM'ET & I FEED STRAIGHT BARLEY & THEY HAVE A BALE OF COASTAL HAY FREE CHOICES  WARS :)

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't buy hay from the feed store, but I told her to go to a different store and see if she gets the same answer.  I know hay is in high demand, but that's ridiculous.  She's just a little backyard horse owner, so she really doesn't know any other place to go.  And everyone I know is out of hay.  Her husband drives a truck for a living and I told her maybe next time he's headed back here from up North with an empty load he should think about stopping and getting them some good hay.
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!

Offline txcantrnr

• Extreme Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
when I was in Weatherford yesterday at horsemans hay had went up two dollars a bale since last week when I was there...
my dad lives up north & he is a dealer for Nutrena & Safe Choice cost went up $2.68 a bag....
it is getting crazy & with the drought in this area they are charging whatever they want for everything..

have no idea what I will do when I run out of feed or get low this time.... even oats & barley are high....

Offline Clock Chaser

• Novice Member
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
I feed Safe and Sound. Its the same thing and pay 13.99. I've tried cheaper nock off feeds but my horse gets hyper on them. Switch back and he goes back to his mellow self. I guess I'll have to work more hours to support my habit

Offline multitasker

• Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
I bought Safe Choice today at the feed store in Manor,Tx and it was $14.40/bag.   I did pay $8 per bale for Coastal hay from a hay dealer a month ago.   The hay deal comes down to the old theory of supply and demand.   There is a huge demand right now and a short supply so hay dealers are going to sell high and take advantage. 

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
I just bought grain today and it's gone up $4 a bag since last summer.  The way the weather is going I just hope we can find hay to feed.  The guy at the feed store said he's buying round bales all over the place and no matter what, they're gone as soon as he gets them. 

Offline runaway_fire

• Veteran Member
  • Who needs a therapist when you own a horse?
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
I feed the Cowtown 14% protein, I think its a 6% fat? Last time I went to the feed store it was $10.75 a bag. I get mine at Hay and Feed Ranch here in Stephenville.

One of my friends feeds the Allstock by Cowtown and she's had good luck with it, I just have a mare that is a hard keeper and I'm afraid to change her over. Not sure how much it is though?

I also know a girl that feeds her horses calf cubes. They aren't too big so the horses can eat them easy, and her horses do GREAT on it. I'd love to be able to do that....its super cheap. I think she pays like 5 or 6 a bag. I'll have to ask her about that one though, not for sure.
"If my particular passion ever kills me, it wont be on the back of my horse. It will be because I was staring out my car window at a horse standing innocently in a field when I should have been paying attention to the road!"

Offline runncans

• Extreme Member
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
Which feedstore in Manor?

Offline OldCanChaser

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »
There is a lady that just bought these 25 acres, and it wasnt fertilized, right?/ well she found out the feeds stores are selling hay for 140-165 a bale.. so she is selling hers out of the field for 150.00/round bale!!.. and it is not fertilized and it has weeds in it!!

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
This is a little off subject but a friend of mine that lives in Haltom City (Ft Worth) just called freaking out because she went to the feed store to get a roundbale and they want $165/bale! 

I know that diesel is high, but that is just sad.  I know a lot of people who bale their own hay and it does not cost that much.  People screwing the buyer over because they know we need the hay.

Okay, I too need hay and can't afford the high prices...but we used to raise hay and there is a LOT more to raising hay than diesel. !st you have fertilizer (and when fuel is high fertilizer is higher) our last load to fertilize 40 acres was $1,900 and that was 6 years ago. Then you have electricity for water my friend who bought our hay field just paid $923 for 1 month. Now you have fuel to run the tractor to swath and then again to bale. Now you have twine or wire or net (none of which is cheap). None of this counts the countless hours working the field to keep it clean and free from weeds and grassburrs. The last year we cut and baled and sold to the public we sold nearly 3,500 bales of hay and after the repairs and upkeep on the equipment...we LOST money. So let's be fair to the farmers out there!
KC

Karol

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
when I was in Weatherford yesterday at horsemans hay had went up two dollars a bale since last week when I was there...
my dad lives up north & he is a dealer for Nutrena & Safe Choice cost went up $2.68 a bag....
it is getting crazy & with the drought in this area they are charging whatever they want for everything..

have no idea what I will do when I run out of feed or get low this time.... even oats & barley are high....

What really gripes me is the fact that diesel has not gone up and truckers are now charging $4 per mile to haul hay.  It is really sad that all of the people that we depend upon to help us feed our animals are now screwing us out of more money because they can!!

Offline wars

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
I HAVE A SON DOWN CLOSE TO SAN ANT THAT RAISES COASTAL BUT HE IRROG & FERT.  HIS HORSE HAY SALES FOR 7 BUY HE HAS CUSTOMERS DOWN THERE THAT WAIT IN THE FIELDS FOR HIS.  HE DOES ROUND BALES FOR HIS CATTLE.  A FELLA CLOSE TO HIM IS ROUND BALING BUT HIS BALES ARE SMALLER & HE GETS 75.  GIRLS IF ROUND BALES HAVE JOHNSON GRASS & THE HAY IS NICE THE JG WILL NOT HURT A THING.  HORSES LIKE IT.  BACK IN THE 50's & 60's I BOUGHT JG BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE, POSSIBLY OAT BUT IT WASN'T ALWAYS GOOD. HORSES DO LIKE JG & IF THE HAY IS NICE HAY IT WON'T HURT THEM.  WARS ;)

Karol

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
Dunny will pick through the hay and not eat anything other than the coastal, including the johnson grass.  A man that was supposed to be supplying me hay for free since we were making sure that his cows stayed watered, started bringing me hay that had a lot of trash in it.  Of course, Dunny would pick through it and not eat anything but what little coastal was in it.  He is too picky.

Offline wars

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »
I'M NOT TALKING TRASH.  IF THE HAY IS GOOD & CUT RIGHT THE JOHNSON GRASS WILL BE GOOD.  I'VE NEVER SEEN A HORSE THAT DIDN'T LIKE JG.  "T" & I  JUST BOUGHT SOME FEED FROM RIO V FEED STORE.  IT IS A PELLET & THE INGRED ARE GOOD.  WE STARTED IT THIS MORN BUT MIX IT WITH BARLEY FOR THE CHANGE.  THEY DO REAL WELL ON BARLEY BUT I HAS GONE SKY HIGH, ALSO.  THEY LICKED THE BOWL CLEAN THIS MORN.  YOU HAVE TO ASK "T" WHAT IT IS CALLED.  16 IS SURE BETTER THAN 24, 26 OR WHATEVER.WARS :)