8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Safechoice Feed Price going up?  (Read 19146 times)

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
Re: Safechoice Feed Price going up?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
LBRUNE  I HOPE TO THE LORD WE DON'T SEE EITHER OF THEM BEFORE TOO LONG.#^&&^%$%$@#$%^%^   WARS >:(

Offline turninthree

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
Mel, where can I call to see if they feed this in my area????  Safechoice was, as Haley said, $15.99 at TSC last time I bought it.  I buy 9 bags a month and it's getting out of hand for sure.

Offline turninthree

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »
Well,never mind just read on and saw what to google.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
I quit feeding Safechoice 2 years ago because it just kept going up.  Glad I did and never looked back.
I feed Excel made by Buzbees here in Waco.
I have to say it was $7.45 when I first started feeding it two plus years ago.
The last I bought was $10.00
If the economy doesn't get better and fuel prices keep going up I think we will see all feed prices continue to go up.
Thank you Mr. President and our ever screwed up Congress.
Can't wait to see what you bring us in the future.

If they'd do away with that stupid biofuel program...Gas would be cheaper, we'd get better gas mileage, groceries and feed might return to normal pricing levels because the corn would be available again.

Offline kcameron

• Fossil
  • I love my Willie
    • KSK CUSTOM HOBBIES
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
I have been feeding Stock & Stable pellet for the last 9 months and my horses are doing great on it.They look excellent and feel good.Not hot, but have plenty of energy.We only ride them once in a while now and just trail ride now. So I switched them to this.You can also give this to any livestock you have which is nice.Comes in pellet or sweet feed.I was paying 8.25 a bag, now it went up to $9.15 a bag. I use to feed stradegy but got to expensive.

Offline OldCanChaser

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
we fed safe choice, then i switched to Bryant E E Plus,, the same exactly as safe choice.. it is 10.25 a bag here.  In springtown they have 12/8 pellet on sale for 8.95 a bag.. the exact same as bryant and safe choice, but highter in fAt content by 1%.

Offline barl5

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
It went up from $12 to $15 around here about 6 months ago. That's why I quit feeding it. I'm now feeding a locally milled pellet that is comparable to Safechoice and only costs me $9.75. Golden Oak Horseman's Pellets milled in DeLeon.

Have been feeding Horsemans Pellets for over a year now and the horses love it. It started out at around $7.75/bag but every time I go buy it which is about ever 3 weeks (25bags) it goes up. Just bought some on Thursday and paid $10.24/bag. Checked with other feed stores that carry it also and they are all higher ($10.65 and $11.25) so I will stick with where I am getting it. Just don't know how much longer I can keep feeding it if it keeps going up cause I am feeding 10 head.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
It went up from $12 to $15 around here about 6 months ago. That's why I quit feeding it. I'm now feeding a locally milled pellet that is comparable to Safechoice and only costs me $9.75. Golden Oak Horseman's Pellets milled in DeLeon.

Have been feeding Horsemans Pellets for over a year now and the horses love it. It started out at around $7.75/bag but every time I go buy it which is about ever 3 weeks (25bags) it goes up. Just bought some on Thursday and paid $10.24/bag. Checked with other feed stores that carry it also and they are all higher ($10.65 and $11.25) so I will stick with where I am getting it. Just don't know how much longer I can keep feeding it if it keeps going up cause I am feeding 10 head.

I bought some today at Taylor Feed in Stephenville for $9.75

Offline Lou

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
I think all feed prices are going up, up, up.  I am feeding Patriot at $11.45 a bag, and my daughter has one show lamb and another coming the end of the week.  Feeding them a different feed than last year as last year from June until Feb the feed was $15.75 a bag, already up to over $18 a bag so the person we are getting the 2nd lamb from recommended a feed from back west and I found it here at $13.00 a bag (for now).
Blessed are the Peacemakers

Offline Tracy Henderson

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:08 PM »
I think all feed prices are going up, up, up.  I am feeding Patriot at $11.45 a bag, and my daughter has one show lamb and another coming the end of the week.  Feeding them a different feed than last year as last year from June until Feb the feed was $15.75 a bag, already up to over $18 a bag so the person we are getting the 2nd lamb from recommended a feed from back west and I found it here at $13.00 a bag (for now).

I feed Patriot by Moorman's too.  I switched to it 2 or 3 years ago after doing some research when a couple of my horses stopped eating the Safe Choice.  I found out that Patriot is a "fixed formula"  which means you always get the same quality of feed all year.  I like that!  Plus it's cheaper than Safe Choice.  I compared the ingredients between the two and they are very comparable. I also like that Patriot has the Moorman's minerals in it. 

Mandi, you can get Patriot at Alvarado Feed & Seed.

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
Yeah, I used to feed Patriot and I was always happy with it.  I think I'm going to go back.  I switched to Safechoice when I moved to South TX because there was only one feed store within reasonable distance and that's what they carried.  That was about the same time Tom Cat was having all of his intestinal trouble so once I switched to Safechoice I stayed on it, even after moving back up here.  Just didn't want to change on him.  But I don't have Tom, and even if I did I couldn't pay 18/bag.  So I think my ponies will be Patriot eaters once again.
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!

Karol

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
I am paying $15.59 for Safe Choice.  My horse is really doing good on it and I don't have to feed as much.  If it goes above 17.00 per bag, I will find something else.

I went to get feed yesterday and the Manager of Tractor Supply gave me a discount, $14.00 per bag.  I love my Tractor Supply.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:34:21 AM by Karol »

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
Friend of mine posted all of this on my FB page - been an interesting discussion both here and over there.  but another friend of mine had this to say that is diff from what has already been contributed ...

MG and Wendlands also has a 12/8 that is good. The Wendlands feed is called Horse Bloom hi fat. The MG is just called 12/8 as far as I know. I have a 3 yr old filly that is a very hard keeper. She got VERY thin when I sent her off for training and I was afraid I would never get her weight back But since I've gotten her back she has put on so much weight. I fed her the MG 12/8. I can send you pics of before and after if you'd like.
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline JRDIXIE

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
I tryed the WENDLANDS horse bloom and it smelled like Chemicals? I was not impressed and ended up not switching to it? I guess I am used to alot of Alfalfa in my feed.

Offline LUV2RIDE

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
It's been interesting reading all these post. I have fed Stradegy for years and just recently decided to change because of the high price of the feed.  I am feeding 11 head (geldings, broodmares, and babies). I feed pellets just because I don't like seeing my grain come out the other end. haha.  I found a cheaper horse feed, but it is still pricey. I just wondered if anyone feeds an allstock feed to their horses. The allstock is cheaper 8.50 a bag, but I am torn on whether my mares and foals would do good on it.  I do give the horses alfalfa at night and they graze on pasture 24/7.