General Category > General Discussion

What are the best boots and why?

(1/4) > >>

barrelroper:
Husband and I are disucssing the boots I use on my barrel horse. He thinks he's helping when he buys me new boots just like his. He uses those leather splint boots that have the buckles I use Pro Choice boots, the kind that velcoro and wrap around. Alot of the ropers use those type boots for the flex and movement is what he's saying. I'm sure they work great for the ropers and I'm not telling him he should use something different, but my aurgument is barrel racing is not roping and the turns my horse does are different than the rope horse turn and need different support which is why I like my boots. Can anyone give me advice for this discussion. Maybe I'm wrong and that's ok, but I don't see the barrel racers using those boots as much as the ropers so there must be a reason I just don't know what it is. Is there a real reason why one boot may be better than another for the physical activity of the horse.

Thanks,

Shelley Millis:
For barrel racing I like the SMB Pro Choice or something comparable like Classic Equine etc.  The leather type with buckles protect against splint injuries or from burning the fetlocks when stopping hard but do not offer any suspensory or tendon protection like the full neoprene/velcro boots.

I like the quick on splint boots when we just exercise, but JMO they need the full SMB boots when running the pattern.

Christi:
In my experience, it all really depends on how your horse moves.  Some horses over reach and need bell boots.  Some really get down on their rear fetlocks when they turn a barrel and may require the extra protection of a skid boot.  Other horses may need splint boots if they tend to graze the opposite leg when running or turning a barrel to help prevent fractures.   

I just bought a pair of Classic Equine "Pro Tech" Boots........they recently came out with these.  They are similar to the regular protective boots, but they ALSO have a protective shell to protect the splint/fetlock & a skid on the rear boots.  They have worked out great for us so far.  They give your horse all-around protection &  allow for lots of movement.  They are also really light weight, more comfortable to the horse.  Hope this helps.....Good Luck!

If you haven't checked them out.....here's a link where you can see them......

http://www.coolhorse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=COOLHORSE&Product_Code=PT200&Category_Code=LegGear

Mandi:
For the most part, barrel racers choose to use the Classic Equine (or similar type) boots because they provide protection. Providing full support in an event like ours is practically impossible. Roping horses aren't as likely to hit themselves because they aren't making quick, snappy turns repeatedly during the same performance. The neoprene and other materials used in these type boots is a shock absorber. A horse is less likely to suffer from problems related to hitting themselves when wearing these type boots as compared to when using a boot that doesn't cover everything below the knee like his leather boots do.

As for your husband using flexibility as an excuse...you can also argue that his boots do allow flexibility and therefore the possibility of too much flex and causing a tendon/ligament issue because of this.

Personally - I only use bell boots in the practice pen. I put boots on about 7-10 horses before I run and I pull them off immediately after a run.

However, Ed Wright believes in the boots similar to what your husband uses (just don't tell your husband). Of course, if he's trying to save money by buying you those type boots....you'll actually be making out cheaper by using the Pro Choice or Classic boots because Ed recommends the Ed Galemba boots and I believe they are around $80/pair.

Lil Welder:
The best boots are the ones you feel most comfortable in....whether from Wal-Mart at $45 or from Dan Post at $1,500...........................you are the only one who can decide what boot is best...........
Huggles from all of us at the Lazy E...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version