8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Lady suffers broken hip in warm up pen at Lone Star Arena Fri night  (Read 5452 times)

Offline onehorseaday

• Extreme Member
I'm sorry I don't know her name but I witnessed the most awful wreck in the warm up pen tonight.  Two horses loping opposite directions collided and the lady squeezed into the fence had her leg caught by the other riders leg and nearly dragged her off her horse.  She was obviously in tremendous pain and they later announced that she had broken her hip.  While we were waiting for the ambulance she was a tough girl and did not cry but she said she said she had a strange feeling. Prayers for her a speedy recovery.  Hats off to the ambulance that got there within minutes of me calling 911.  BIG hats off to the super nice folks that own the arena.  They got down there in a hurry and stayed to comfort her and try to help until she was in the ambulance and gone.  I have seen more than one rider there have horse fall, etc... and the owners ALWAYS go check on them iimmediately.  They have my ultimate respect.

IT was an honest accident but while we are on the topic, can we all show a little more respect and arena etiquette and give each other some space. There is no need to brush your horse up against another.  I was riding a fractious colt and he got bumped into WAY too many times....scared the snot out of him.  It was not that crowded back there either.  Suggestions:  try to go with the flow and lope the same direction the others are loping......they will change directions. Don't lope your horse right up another ones butt....literally. You can get kicked and/or spook their horse. If you need to "breeze" your horse, take them somewhere outside by themself.  Simply put just be courteous. Thanks.
"if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you are not watering yours enough"

Offline Slickster

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
    • Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
Re: Lady suffers broken hip in warm up pen at Lone Star Arena Fri night
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 08:03:49 AM »
Prayers for a speedy recovery for this lady.....and EXCELLENT ADVICE. 
Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
www.RRBRA.com

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »
This lady is our own sweet Katy Holloway. Everyone pray for her speedy recovery. And be more careful and respectful of others when you are warming your horses up.

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
OMG-Prayers for Katy............I didn't know how bad it was until now................. <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline citygonecountry

• Dinosaur!
  • My Furry Family!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Oh Katy, I will be praying for you and a "speedy" recovery.

Which warm-up pen was this in?  The one behind the alleyway or the one behind the arena??
"Dear Lord, Please Help Me to Be the Kind of Person My Dog Thinks I Am!"
"Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone..." Gal. 6:10a

stbra.org

Offline onehorseaday

• Extreme Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
It was in the big warm up pen at the far end of the arena (not behind the alley).  FYI- there is a big warm up area outside too down the hill and kind of behind the stall barn. That arena has 3 times the warm up space as most places.....plenty "space" for all.  I saw this up close and I know it was a freak accident but it was still horrifying to watch and I suspect even more horrifying for Katy to experience. It's like when both horses realized they were hung on each other, they panic'd (sp?) and sped up.....going opposite directions.  I hope she gets well in record fast time.

"if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you are not watering yours enough"

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Talked to Katy this morning.   They are going to do surgery tomorrow and put a rod in her leg tomorrow.  So Im going to go give her a big ebarrelracing.com hug for everybody today.   

She is in Harris Downtown in room 316B
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline citygonecountry

• Dinosaur!
  • My Furry Family!!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:10 AM »
Hey Tamet...can you pm me her address please.
"Dear Lord, Please Help Me to Be the Kind of Person My Dog Thinks I Am!"
"Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone..." Gal. 6:10a

stbra.org

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »
 (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »
Ouch. Many prayers for a speedy recovery.

I agree with the "lack of flow" in warm up pens. It drives me nuts.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
is this hospital in dallas?
can't wait till May!!!

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
Katy, I am so sorry this happened to you! Many prayers from the Cantwell household for a speedy recovery. God speed!  <(' ')>
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
oh no Katy!!! Our Katy??? Please lord lay your healing hands upon her in this time of pain! Heal her quickly and let her have a worry free surgery! In jesus name we pray, amen.
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »
She is in the Ft Worth Harris Downtown
Her phone # is 817-559-3832
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
 <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> prayers for Katy's recovery <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

it is so frustrating warming up with a bunch of kids too that don't have horse or arena etiquette.
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008