8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Any Dairy Farmers out there?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Any Dairy Farmers out there?
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »
What is your take on this article, I want to know the other side.

“Dairy cliff” shows food system “rigged” against consumers
by Joel McDurmon on Dec 31, 2012
From the Wall Street Journal,

Current farm programs—which consist of massive subsides, price supports and various marketing restrictions—were enacted in 2008 and expire on Dec. 31. That should be cause for rejoicing, except that the system is rigged against consumers and taxpayers.

Instead of Americans enjoying a bounty after the clock runs out, federal farm policy will automatically revert to a farm bill drawn up in 1949. That will compel the Department of Agriculture to roughly double the price supports for dairy and other farm products thanks to a mystical doctrine called “parity.”

The doctrine was concocted by Department of Agriculture economists in the 1920s to “prove” that farmers were entitled to higher prices than the market provided. The official parity calculation was based on the ratio of farm prices to nonfarm prices between 1910 and 1914, the most prosperous non-wartime years for farmers in American history.

If the market price of milk, for example, fell below parity, the Department of Agriculture intervened in markets in various ways to provide a price floor to benefit dairy producers. This mechanism has been in place for generations, gouging taxpayers and consumers, long after full-time farmers became far wealthier than average Americans. . . .

Once parity kicks in the price could quickly soar to $7 a gallon, according to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. The USDA could burn through billions of tax dollars buying up dairy products that are unwanted at exorbitant prices.

Farmers will enjoy a brief windfall until consumer demand plummets for their product. Any resulting chaos in the marketplace will almost certainly produce demands for new bailouts of farmers.

The dairy lobby has long been one of Washington’s most tenacious. By the 1980s, federal dairy policy cost the average American family enough to buy its own cow. . . .

The ultimate absurdity of the “dairy cliff” is that there is no need for federal intervention in dairy markets. . . .
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Any Dairy Farmers out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:57:08 AM »
They passed an extension on this and it won't come up again until September. Then the milk lobbists will threaten us with $7 a gallon milk again and we'll all panic again and they'll pass a last minute deal again. It's called "The Circle of Life". I saw it on The Lion King.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »
Mel that hidden comedian is showing.....   :D :D :D :D :D
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
I learned most everything I know from Carl. 8)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »
I believe that about the hidden humor   :D :D :D  Carl thinks he is hillarious and sometimes he is! 

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
IF THEY PULL THAT CRAP WE ALL NEED TO GET A MILK COW.  I HAD ONE BACK IN THE 70's & SOLD MILK & BUTTER.  A FAIRLY GOOD RETURN.  OF COURSE THE COW WAS SOMEWHAT A PROBLEM.  SHE WOULD FIND HER HOLE OUT OF THE PASTURE THEN "T" HAD TO GET ON A HORSE & LOOK FOR HER.  SHE HAD A BELL ON BUT TRIED TO KEEP IT FROM RINGING.  YOU'LL HAVE TO GET "T" TO TELL YOU THE STORY AbOUT THE COW, SUSIE COW WAS HER NAME.  WARS ::) >:( :D

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
Milk and juice are about the highest carb route you can take anyway.  Why don't we just stop drinking it? 

Offline Tenacious

• Novice Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
I live in the Stephenville area and several years ago there were many dairy farmers.  Some of the smaller dairies sold their milk to the cheese factory here.  Now, there are very few small dairy farmers because the government has imposed so many regulations on them that they cannot make a profit.  Many have sold to larger dairies, some are raising dairy heifers, and some have just gone out of business.  The lady who used to cut my hair told me that they sold their small dairy because of the government regulations and city people moving in complaining about the smell.  Said it was just easier to sell out.  

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
We are dang lucky there are any farmers or ranchers willing to work so hard to provide for us.  I can't imagine my paycheck changing because of the weather.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »
IF THEY PULL THAT CRAP WE ALL NEED TO GET A MILK COW.  I HAD ONE BACK IN THE 70's & SOLD MILK & BUTTER.  A FAIRLY GOOD RETURN.  OF COURSE THE COW WAS SOMEWHAT A PROBLEM.  SHE WOULD FIND HER HOLE OUT OF THE PASTURE THEN "T" HAD TO GET ON A HORSE & LOOK FOR HER.  SHE HAD A BELL ON BUT TRIED TO KEEP IT FROM RINGING.  YOU'LL HAVE TO GET "T" TO TELL YOU THE STORY AbOUT THE COW, SUSIE COW WAS HER NAME.  WARS ::) >:( :D

WARS you need to get Tamet to get another cow! Then everyone would be happy. I can see you now sitting on the porch in your rocking chair churning butter just like Granny Clampett. LMAO

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
I BOUGHT A DAISY CHURN & IT WAS EASY.  IT HAD AN ELET PLUG.  HA  "T" STORY WILL BE MUCH FUNNIER.  WARS ;) :D

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
Watch out girls!  There might be some PETA members out there & they claim milking a cow is sexual harassment!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
OMG, they should all be shot