8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Feeding Crimped Oat .... Have you? Did you like the results?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline tuff.enough

• Dinosaur!
  • Go Big or Go Home
Feeding Crimped Oat .... Have you? Did you like the results?
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Was wanting some information from people that has fed ccrimped oats... If they like it? Did their horses perform well? How did they look?
Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Feeding Crimped Oat .... Have you? Did you like the results?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
That's what I feed Sadie. She stays too fat on pelleted feed. I also feed Calf Manna to supply the missing vitamins and minerals.

Offline tuff.enough

• Dinosaur!
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
I forgot that you did & yeah Sadie looks good
Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living!

Offline nabone2

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »
My mare is allergic to molasses, vet recommended COB that's Corn (chops), Oats (crimped) and Barley (Steam Flaked) in a 1 C : 2 O : 1/2 B ratio. I change it up depending on activity and season/weather. Must be careful with the barley as it can easily make one higher than a kite. I like the crimped oats over whole as they don't grow so much. If you can get Bryant oats, they are race horse quality, super clean. Good luck.

Offline tuff.enough

• Dinosaur!
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:07:41 AM »
Awesome thank you... Well I'm looking into feeding them & just was wanting some more info non them 1st!

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:55 AM »
I don't feed them to Aloha. Because I don't want him any hotter than he already is right now. LOL

Offline tuff.enough

• Dinosaur!
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
I'm giving Gee straite crimped oats then the others are getting half oats and half pellets!!!

Offline j2ponies

• Extreme Member
  • Live, while you're alive.!!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
I hope you have good luck with oats. I used to feed it years ago to my gelding. No problems..I tried to  get weight off my mare and I've fed a lot of  things. I went to pellets and she choked.They got water in her lungs and she was in intensive care for 11 days. It was a miracle she lived.. I fed safe choice,but had to wet it. It was suggested I go to oats. I did and she choked..The vet finally got her 'un choked'. He said it is much harder to break loose the oats than pellets. The pellets will dissolve as the oats wouldn't...I know they are all different. This is my experience..I hope you fare much better.

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
GIRLS I FED OATS FOR 3O YRS, NOT CRIMPED OR ROLLED, JUST PLAIN OATS.  GOT UP HERE & THEY JUST KEPT GETTING HIGHER.  TAM'ET & I HAVE HAD OUR HORSES ON PELLETS FROM ALEDO FOR SOME TIME NOW.  THEY ARE DOING EXCELLENT.   WARS :D ;)

Offline j2ponies

• Extreme Member
  • Live, while you're alive.!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
You know, horses are like humans~ each one is the same, yet different. Our digestive systems,etc. What one can eat the other cannot. we just have to learn what our individual horses can handle,in eating, stress, environment,work,nervous systems,etc. We have to stay diligent and research and monitor our beloved mounts.
My gelding had no problems with oats~They almost killed my mare.
Blessings to you all.May you find what works best for you.

Offline tuff.enough

• Dinosaur!
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
I changed both my horses over to crimped/rolled oats & o e didn't want them at all & won't eat pellets (will go days & days with out eating) so I put him back on my textured feed but Gee is on strait oats & loves them & is going great i coats it will oil to make it not quite so dry though.

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
I've never fed oats, but my picky mare won't touch pellets.  I feed a 12/10 dry mix. 

Offline turnnburn68

• Extreme Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
I have a mare that has PSSM  so I have to be very careful of what I feed. It can't have any sugars and very low starch. I'm feeding Purina L/S right now and that stuff is higher than a kite in a wind storm. Would.like to feeds all.mine the same thing. Anyone use soybean oil too?
"Always saddle your own horse"
Connie Reeves - National Cowgirl Hall of Fame Inductee