8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Differance between Equine Senior & Strategy Feed  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
Differance between Equine Senior & Strategy Feed
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
I am currently feeding just a 12% sweet feed to my 4 horses and I go thru 3 50# bags a week. I am needing to get some weight on one of my horses so I was going to switch him to the equine senior or strategy thinking that might help. Didnt know what the differances were I looked at the fat % and they were both within 1% of each other. Also I was thinking that if I changed the other three to that too that I could feed them less of it then what I am feeding them know (1 scoop twice a day) so even though the feed is more expensive it would even out since I wouldnt be feeding as much. Does that sound right to yall?  Or does anyone recommend a differant feed?  All 4 horses are being worked and run barrels.

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
Re: Differance between Equine Senior & Strategy Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
Look into Thrive.  I have put 3 horses on it and they are doing great.    They have a website just google it.

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Run For Fun - I did google it and found it verfy interesting wish someone closer to me had it available so I could try.....

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
equine senior is a complete feed, you do not have to give hay,i feed  it to my mare that is on stall rest for about 4- 6 months. she gets 8 lbs a day of it and then i give her 2 blocks coastal hay morn & night.
 i feed it to my 30 year old gelding because he couldn't chew and you can water down for a mush,he stayed pretty fat on it . have you tried beat pulp for extra weight .that worked really good but the down side was letting it soak,i get up at 5 in the morn.and it has to soak awhile and i didn't want to get up any earlier so id give it at night.
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
I KNOW THE BEAT PULP IS GOOD FOR THEM.  I TRIED IT FOR A WHILE A FEW YEARS AGO & MY PONIES DIDN'T TAKE TO IT AT ALL.  WARS :D :)

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
Run For Fun - I did google it and found it verfy interesting wish someone closer to me had it available so I could try.....

call them and they are very nice  they might can work something out for you

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
equine senior is a complete feed, you do not have to give hay,i feed  it to my mare that is on stall rest for about 4- 6 months. she gets 8 lbs a day of it and then i give her 2 blocks coastal hay morn & night.
 i feed it to my 30 year old gelding because he couldn't chew and you can water down for a mush,he stayed pretty fat on it . have you tried beat pulp for extra weight .that worked really good but the down side was letting it soak,i get up at 5 in the morn.and it has to soak awhile and i didn't want to get up any earlier so id give it at night.

When we used it we would us a large plastic coffee can and put it in it with the water and then put in the refrigerator and have it ready for the next feeding worked really good that way

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »
that would be wonderful but i don't have a refrigertor at my barn.

When we used it we would us a large plastic coffee can and put it in it with the water and then put in the refrigerator and have it ready for the next feeding worked really good that way
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline stormyblaze

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
i feed strategy & i love it but it does keep going up n price...my horses have no grass...dry lot only...iv been feeding them 1 scoop n the morning with a couple flakes of hay & the same n the evening...had a few people tell me not to feed so much of the grain..i didnt think it was too much..it did get weight on my gelding that wasnt an easy keeper...both horses looked good...not too fat  & not thin at all...but iv been putting out round bales of hay for 3 months & they got really fat so i did drop down to a half scoop twicw a day...could probably get by feeding that 1 time a day but im not going to...not sure how much 1 of my scoops weighs but its just ur regular square plastic feed scoop u get from the feed stores
My definition of a successful ride is if I'm still on the horse when he comes out of the alley

Offline flcrackercowwhip

• Veteran Member
    • www.cowwhips.homestead.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
We used Total Equine on a old mare we had,,,she was 33 when we hauled her out here from Fl,,,she was on equine senior and a joint supplement,,,a few times a year she would stop eating it and have to scramle and get other stuflf for her to eat...but when got her started on Total Equine,,,with in 3 wks we took her off all supplements, she didnt need them,,,she gained weither, beautiful coat. and in the winter time before total equine she would get 6-8 inches of winter hair coat,,,and when we started iusing total equine,,her coat was pretty,,,and in the winter her winter coat was a tad longer than a normal horse would be! Loook it up on the internet they have a website,,,,its super stuff,,I just started my barrel horse on it,,,we are just started to haul her and she needed a little something and id rather try this that all the different supplements...  ;) ;)   :)
www.cowwhips.homestead.com
check out our website,,my husband builds these!

Offline wnfisher87

• Novice Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
I have fed stategy for 4-5 years now and have had really good success with it, I recently switched mine to the other formula Strategy Healthy Edge its has amplify mixed in with it and is alot easier for them to digest. All mine in the barn have put a little weight on switching to this even and their coats look amazing. ;D

Offline staceyb0501

• RIP Casper....love ya forever
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
I have fed stategy for 4-5 years now and have had really good success with it, I recently switched mine to the other formula Strategy Healthy Edge its has amplify mixed in with it and is alot easier for them to digest. All mine in the barn have put a little weight on switching to this even and their coats look amazing. ;D

Ditto...... Ultium is really good feed as well but it is more expensive.....

Offline W F O

• Mega Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
I have fed stategy for 4-5 years now and have had really good success with it, I recently switched mine to the other formula Strategy Healthy Edge its has amplify mixed in with it and is alot easier for them to digest. All mine in the barn have put a little weight on shavrwitching to this even and their coats look amazing. ;D
I switched all of mine over to the Strategy Healthy Edge and I really like the results !!!!!!!!!!!! All of mine look AWESOME !!!!
Here We Go WFO !!!