Flyer
Event Info Click Here

Flyer

Online Entry Form
Printable EF
Event Info Click Here

Online Entry Form
PRINTABLE ENTRY FORM

Author Topic: CRAIGSLIST TRAILER SCAM, just an FYI - To good to be true....  (Read 2670 times)

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
CRAIGSLIST TRAILER SCAM, just an FYI - To good to be true....
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
Found this ad on Craigslist for a Beautiful trailer and I am thinking wow  way to low! But everyone wants a deal right? maybe she is getting a divorce etc ... so I  email her...
2006 SUNDOWNER 3 HORSE TRAILER W LQ 7003$ - Superb Price (houston)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-02, 7:40AM CST
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bi-directional, Fully Encased Pop Up Roof Vent Per Stall
Dome Light per Stall
Drop Down Windows on Head Side
Side Access Door at 1st Stall
2 Inside Tie Rings per Stall
1 Outside Tie Ring per Stall
Padded Breast Chain and Butt Bar
Feed Mangers
Outside Manger Access Doors

Stainless Steel Nose Wrap
Rear Loading Ramp
Patio Awning
Heavy Duty 45 amp 12 volt Power Converter
12 Volt Charge line to Truck
electic jack etc..

and the pictures are of a Perfect trailer...

PostingID: 1582124874

This is what I get back from her :

Hi,

First, a few words about this Sundowner 8008 Trailblazer : The trailer is exceptionally clean, has been very well maintained, has no damage and is in great condition. Lights, ac, furnace, microwave, refrigerator, stove, radio, awning, sink, shower and toilet. Everything on this trailer and in this trailer works just like it should.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title.
I have a low price ( $ 7,000 including delivery to your home address ) because I want to sell the trailer very quickly. My husband died 2 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we moved to my sister. If you are really interested in purchasing the trailer please contact me asap.... More photos available..

Regards!

Nicole

Next Email from her  is :

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't conclude this transaction personally because my work involves a lot of travelling but I left everything prepared for the sale. The horse trailer is at eBay's shipping center in Reno, NV and from there it will be shipped to my buyer's address. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the trailer. Only after you receive the trailer and you inspect it (you have 7 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me.
This transaction is covered by ebay's purchase protection program up to 50,000 USD and if something goes wrong in this transaction you will be fully refunded. I strongly assure you it will not be the case for a refund. I have used the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully.
You must send a deposit of $ 3,500 before you get the horse trailer and the remaining balance ( $ 3,500 ) after you will receive it. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return the trailer within 14 days of receipt on my expense.
I want a fast and safe transaction for both of us, so if you wish to proceed with the purchase, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay right away.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Nicole

*** Here you have more information and some pictures ***

Then my boss googled the ebay vehicle purchase protection plan and it came back with a guy who was ripped off out of Vegas for a car with this same m.o.... so just wanted tolet you guys know.... and If it is not a scam and she is really legit  - the trailer is in Las Vegas... so its a gamble either way :)

Offline meandmo

• Veteran Member
  • Proud Softball Mom
Re: CRAIGSLIST TRAILER SCAM, just an FYI - To good to be true....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
I thought you paid for things on Ebay with Paypal?  Is there such a thing as paying directly to Ebay?

Offline wendyb

• Elite Member
  • Britt at WBR 2007
    • Visit our store online...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
I don't think so - but I haven't done the ebay vehicles deal... 

Figured it was a scam - I have seen several in the last few months that seemed similar.
Have openings for consignment saddles
http://www.lazybgeneralstore.com
Carrying brands such as *Wrangler*Ariat*Cinch*Cruel Girl*Weaver*Circle Y*Saddle Barn*Double H*Boulet*John Deere*Corky's*Yellow Box*Bar H*Breyer
Special Orders Welcome

Offline themurphy6

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
N,o there is not such a thing as directly to ebay.  This is a scam.  My sister in laws father got taken this exact same way for a truck with price to go to be true.  We tried to tell him to only use paypal but he forked over a 3k deposit then never heard from them again.  They had copied and pasted a truck from a real add and also copied and pasted ebay logos.  You can't protect some people from themselves.

Offline meandmo

• Veteran Member
  • Proud Softball Mom
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
the trailer is in Las Vegas... so its a gamble either way :)

Cute!  LOL

Offline FLYKODYFLY

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »
OMG! This is the same scam that someone tried to pull on me. I dang near went for it too. They try to make you believe you are paying thru ebay by sending you an invoice using ebays logo and your printed name on the invoice. On the invoice it only gives you the option of only paying with a money gram. That's how they get you...some people don't know that ebay warns about not paying any other way but thru paypal. Since I had never purchased anything thru ebay, I didn't know the rules or precautions. These scammers know that people get in a rush to jump on GREAT deals and they don't read the small print or think clearly.

That email above seems like the same person I delt with because it was lots of misspelled words and they explained details about the item alot. It was so funny because once I realized it was a scam... I went back and forth with them for awhile and then told them to have someone from ebay call me for the moneygram confirmation #....like a dumb @$$ they called (arabic accent)  and they got the worst mouth they ever heard. I felt better though.

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
Big BIG HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE SCAM.  run run run, buy nikes...run awayyyyy fast!!
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
Yeah we thought we had a great deal going and thought maybe the lady did not know whhat she had, or she was getting a divorce whatever,  or she did not care. I even asked her if the pictures were the actual trailer pictures and she did not answer direct. But it was on craigslist under rvs, like maybe she did not know where to put it...
and yes the "moneygram"  was a part of it so its probably the same people.... We even thought  about flying to vegas to look at it.. I guess she would not have liked that...

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
bump

Offline clpayne10

• Extreme Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
there is another scam listed on horse trailer world .com the trailer is nice and only 4,000 i emailed them they stated that they recently moved to florida but had to keep their grapvine address.  upon looking at more horse trailers i noticed the same trailer in the 4 star add so i compared and it was the exact same picture .  i notified the ad manager but i am not sure if it was removed.   they saying goes too good to be true usually is

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
just wanna make sure enough people read this and spread the word so this stuff will stop..

Offline barrel58

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »
bump
Come running with your hat down.