Online Entries Sept 2-Sept 13
Event Info Click Here

Flyer

Online Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Printable Entry Form

Vendor Applications
Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: What would you do??  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Ksbs

• Veteran Member
What would you do??
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
If you have your barrel horse down for over 30 days now and maybe another 15days (and out $1800.00 in rehab) and it was all do to a bad farrier job??  Would you say something to the farrier, or just take it as a lesson learned?

Offline kcameron

• Fossil
  • I love my Willie
    • KSK CUSTOM HOBBIES
Re: What would you do??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
I would say something to him if you had confirmation from the vet that it was due to his farrier services or should I say, lack there of good services.ABSOLUTELY say something and I sure hope you do not continue to use him.

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »
I think if you have a good relationship with your farrier he'd want to know. Maybe he could learn from a mistake. And prevent doing it again. All in how you present it to him....
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
I think if you have a good relationship with your farrier he'd want to know. Maybe he could learn from a mistake. And prevent doing it again. All in how you present it to him....
I agree.  Little diff situation cuz my farrier is like family ... i usually talk or FB with him every couple weeks.  But I say that to say this.  Nothing more important than keeping great feet under your great horse.  If I see my horse has a problem and I even think it's because of bad farrier work - he's the FIRST one i'm gonna call.  Because he and I and my vet and my chiro are a TEAM.  but it really isn't fair to blindside him weeks or even months down the road with, "you crippled my horse", ya know?  I say, give him a chance to make it right - in both attitude and work, and see how that goes.  We all make mistakes - he does not, I am sure, walk on water (altho i've been know to think my farrier does!).  Hope this helps.  If his attitude about the whole thing is awful - ditch him and take yr chances with someone else.  If he is remorseful and wants to work things out - give him a chance.
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline Ksbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
I do have a good relationship with my farrier, but this is not the 1st time my vet has said something about bad farrier work, so I do think I need to look elsewhere for those services. 
The vet didnt even think to look at feet when she 1st came up lame, as we were noticing "issues" all in the front end.  And large knot in neck, but neck has since healed, but lameness hasnt improved, he came out today and found the culprit and think all the lameness, neck issue and everything is all from the shotty shoe job.  Feet are very contorted he says. 
Thanks for everyones opinion.  I will mention him to in a proper manner, but really stinks that I paid my farrier to shoe my horses and now I am paying a vet, chiro, and rehab doc ALOT of money to fix probs from farrier...

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
but this is not the 1st time my vet has said something about bad farrier work, ... The vet didnt even think to look at feet when she 1st came up lame

OK, sorry but I'd be looking for a new vet, too ... I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean to be hurtful.  But any vet worth his or her salt is going to start from the ground up on a lameness issue.  And if you and yr vet have already had the "bad farrier work" conversation and you kept the farrier on your payroll?  Well, what can you say ...
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline RWR

• Novice Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
but this is not the 1st time my vet has said something about bad farrier work, ... The vet didnt even think to look at feet when she 1st came up lame

OK, sorry but I'd be looking for a new vet, too ... I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean to be hurtful.  But any vet worth his or her salt is going to start from the ground up on a lameness issue.  And if you and yr vet have already had the "bad farrier work" conversation and you kept the farrier on your payroll?  Well, what can you say ...

Agree^^^^

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
 BOY THAT'S A GOOD ONE.  I DON'T KNOW BUT I WOULDN'T THINK THE KNOT ON THE NECK COMES FROM SHOEING.  I'D GO TO ANOTHER VET FOR POSSIBLY AN ABSCESS OR IF IT IS A HORRIBLE SHOEING JOB.  TAM'ET & I RUN OUR HORSES BAREFOOT & IT IS WONDERFUL.  HOPE YOU FIND OUT.   WARS :(

Offline Ksbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
Knot on neck came from her trying to put all her weight on left side, which tweek'd neck and made her very sore. 
Vet flexed her from head to toe and she flexed fine, so we couldnt pin point anything.  She has pad on her feet, so it wasnt real easy to see the bad job.
Yes, did have the convo on a bad farrier job before, and did tell my farrier my concerns.  Since he's a friend I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt, everyone makes mistakes.  But, cannot afford to give him another shot this time!
It's been a bad situation all around, and wouldnt wish it on anyone!
Just want our girl back and running!  She litterally gets depressed when she doesnt get to do her job.  She has a heart the size of Texas!