May 1st-22nd

RULES
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Tues
MAY 28 8am-6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are OPEN
Printable Entry Form

Author Topic: Breeding a stud with one testicle  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Charmaine

• Novice Member
    • CM Productions, Barrel Races and Barrel Horses
Breeding a stud with one testicle
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
Isn't it against AQHA policy to be breeding a stud with one testicle? What if you know someone is doing this on purpose, knowing it is wrong? What would you do?

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
Re: Breeding a stud with one testicle
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
Isn't it against AQHA policy to be breeding a stud with one testicle? What if you know someone is doing this on purpose, knowing it is wrong? What would you do?

Mind my own business.
**********THORNERANCH.COM**********
http://www.thorneranch.com/

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
Unless it comes from a physical problem it is also hereditary. 
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Charmaine

• Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

Mind my own business.

As a responsible owner and breeder we should want to keep the integrity of the breed and that is our business.

Offline Charmaine

• Novice Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
Unless it comes from a physical problem it is also hereditary. 

This is indeed my concern. There was no injury, this is how he developed.

Offline onehoofatatime

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »
Is that the same as cryptorchidism? Are AQHA cryptorchids allowed to breed? Just curious.

Offline Charmaine

• Novice Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
Is that the same as cryptorchidism? Are AQHA cryptorchids allowed to breed? Just curious.

Yes, it is the same. I actually called AQHA to find out since I was curious. There is no policy against this. I was surprised because I believe in dog breeds there is a policy against it.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »
So if there's no policy against it, what's the big deal? He's obviously not an up and coming stud that anyone should be concerned about. Those studs are ALWAYS presented for inspection by possible clients.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:36:45 AM »
This is one of those situations where it is the responsibility of the individual breeding their mare to know about the Stallion.   Hopefully someone that takes a mare to be bred knows enough about genetics to not prepetuate an undesirable characteristic.   Besides the studs sperm count is likely to be low anyway.   Nature does have a tendency to take care of those things.   ;D
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline fourwacres

• Novice Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »

AQHA Rules & Regulations:
GENETIC DEFECTS AND UNDESIRABLE TRAITS
Reg 109 The conditions listed below and commonly considered undesirable traits or genetic defects by the Board of Directors SHALL BE INDICATED ON THE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE for horses foaled on or after the indicated date (Jan 1, 1992), once the condition is known.
One or more of these conditions does not prevent a horse from being used as breeding stock or from participating in AQHA-approved events, subject to rules of the individual event:

Reg 109.2
(a)Parrot Mouth-either overshot or undershot and is defined by the American Association of Equine Practitioners as “no
occlusal contact between the upper and lower central incisors.” Designation
effective for foals born on or after January 1, 1992.
(b) Cryptorchid-meaning less than two visible testicles descended into the scrotum. Designation effective for foals born on
or after January 1, 1992.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
As a breeder I will say this. IT IS HEREDITARY. Not always from the stud either. I know of three "stud colts" born out of a particular mare and stallion that all three are or were cryptorchids. Cost me $700 to geld mine. But the stallion was not. And he had a couple other stud colts that were OK. So, it must have been a genetic fluke or hereditary. Anyhow, the other two crypt's are being bred....back yard breeder. Yes, I would like to add them to my list of people who should NOT be allowed to breed horses. They have like 7 studs?? all junk. Anyhow. I think its the mare owner responsibility to know about the stud. Check him out before you breed!

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
HEY KIDDO I DON'T WANT TO BE UGLY BUT I WANT TO CORRECT YOU ON YOUR STATEMENTS.  THE WORD COLT MEAN STALLION(OR MALE) SO YOU DON'T NEED TO SAY "STUD COLT".  I EVEN HEAR OR SEE PEOPLE THAT SAY FILLY COLT.  WELL YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.  THE BABY IS MALE & FEMALE.  I JUST THINK IF YOUR AROUND HORSE PEOPLE WE NEED TO USE THE CORRECT TERMS.  YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY & ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL RAIN.  WARS ??? ;)

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
Well true true Wars. Sorry to mix up my technical typing. However that is why I put it in quotes because a LOT of people do not associate the two words!!! Since we were talking about cryptoirchids I want to make sure they knew I was referring to a YOUNG STALLION born to a particular sire and dam.
What do you call a yearling that has been gelded??? Just wondering.....

Offline wars

• Wicked Witch Of the West
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • I'm a barrel racing mama!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN GELDED JUST CALL THEM A GELDING THEN THERE WILL BE NO WONDERING WHAT THEY ARE.  GELDING/STALLIONS/FILLIES  IF THEY ARE BABY BOYS THEN THEY ARE COLTS.   WARS :D