Online Entries Sept 2-Sept 13
Event Info Click Here

Flyer

Online Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Printable Entry Form

Vendor Applications
Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: World Barrel Racing Productions - Race for the Cash - By Kathie Bitzer  (Read 8729 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
World Barrel Racing Productions
                   Race For the Cash
                   By Kathie Bitzer
                   Sept. 15, 2005

Bobby L. Barter’s World Barrel Racing Productions made barrel-racing history once again. The Classic Equine Race For the Cash held September 3, 4 & 5, 2005 at the Heart O’Texas Fair Complex in Waco, Texas, hosted an astounding 1,942 entries that actually ran. But what was even more astounding the D&G ground crew kept the ground perfect from the first runner to the very last. While looking at the results it was noted that the 5 fastest times were run on different days in different sections all being done with 60 runners being run per hour. I was able to figure what time I was going to run almost to the minute.

The excitement of this barrel race began long before the first run was made on Saturday morning. When the advertisement of this race came through via e-mail, The Cowboy Sports New and the Barrel Horse News the chatter began on Barrel Racing chat lines and at the local races. One thing was almost certain. The 1400 of us that entered the Choctaw race knew the advertised $85,000 in cash and prizes would probably grow just like it had for Choctaw.

The entries opened and the entries started to pour in.  34 days before the event the 2000 limit was reached and some very unhappy people were kicking themselves for not getting their entries in earlier. There were Waco countdowns on the chat lines and the surprises began.

The first surprise came in the form of two e-mails on August 16. The first was announcing that the draw was up and the following is the other:

Dear Barrel Racers,
World Barrel Racing Productions (WBRP) is selling one (1) entry, including processing fee, for Monday Day at the "Classic Equine Race for the Cash" in Waco, Texas. (Valued at $120) The draw # you are bidding on is # 204.

Dates of the event are September 3-5, 2005. WBRP will donate all of the money from this auction to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Once again the chat lines were on fire and friends were calling friends that missed the books. The final bid was $345.00!

Then on August 26, the e-mail we were all waiting for came in:

Dear Barrel Racers,
World Barrel Racing Productions (WBRP) has added $68,000 in cash and prizes to the Classic Equine Race for the Cash, in Waco Texas. The new payout will be posted in Waco.

The entries were closed and the draw was already posted. I find this amazing and generous at the same time. It shows, in my opinion, that Bobby is a true showman and wants to put the best show on possible while putting smiles on everyone’s face. A job that I’m finding he excels in. We’re talking about $68,000 that could have been put back into his pocket and many barrel racers are very aware of this and more then appreciate his generosity.

Then one of the most horrific natural disasters hit our southern friends in the form of Hurricane Katrina. Bobby opened the lines for them to draw out and sent their entire entry fees back without any penalties. He then re-opened the books for people to fill in their spots and it wasn’t long when they were filled once again.

The gas prices soar and many wondered what the actual turnout was going to be. There were two obstacles, the guilt of going and having a great time while so many people were suffering from the aftermath of Katrina and the unprecedented fuel prices reaching over the $3.00 mark. Some were worried about being able to get fuel but that wasn’t the case and the parking lots were filled when I pulled into the fair complex. I guess it’s really hard to keep a barrel racer a way from a great event. We had come to take a break from the outside world and enter our fantasy world. I believe it was good mentally for all of us.

There were 5 sections of 400 runners. The first section ran Saturday morning starting at 9:00 am. Once again the opening ceremonies gave people goose bumps and many left with a tear in their eye. Once again the Frisbee toss was a huge success and many happy people that caught a Frisbee made their way to the office to pick up the prize that was written on the back.

One thing you can say about barrel racers, we catch on fast. As soon as they heard Bobby’s voice over the loud speaker, a stampede of contestants, their friends and families headed for the bleachers for the Frisbee toss, dance contest, hippity-hop race or if it was for the egg toss, the arena floor. Laughter would soon fill the Dodge Pavilion Arena.

The winners were rewarded with awesome prizes. The biggest problem was trying to decide which prize to take. I would have to say the Bronc Halters and purses seemed to be the favorites.

Again in Bobby L. Barter fashion, each 400 section ran for Diesel Bucks. Each section ran it’s own race to win the Diesel Money. It was advertised to be run as a 4-D but was changed to a 5-D. All the winners were very happy and grateful to receive this extra payout.

The final day of competition was a very emotional one. Bobby had declared it Ben’s Day. Ben Gould is a 10-year-old child of Tamet and Bob Gould’s from ebarrelracing.com. Bobby had read Ben’s diary that Tamet and Ben keep updated on their site. Friends had recently put on a fund raiser barrel race for the Gould’s to help with treatments that aren’t covered by insurance. When Bobby read about this he sent a box of goodies to be auctioned off there along with other items people had so graciously donated.

Pam Cantwell told Ben's story while a movie of Ben's progress was
 shown behind her. Needless to say, you could hear a pin drop along
 with watching people wipe a tear away. Many of the tears were of joy,
 not sadness, including my own. I have seen Ben through the years at
 many of the barrel races that the Gould's have taped for video. Ben
 was a young boy in a wagon in his own world and now with just a few
 treatments by his new Doctor he is out of his own little world and
 taking part in a universe that is much larger to him now. In this
 young boy's face I saw a miracle and one that would have never taken
 place if it wasn't for Tamet and Bob's perseverance and their devoted
 love.

When contestants checked in there were two barrels sitting on a table that was designed by DW racing graphics waiting to be signed. One was auctioned off and the other given to the Gould’s after Pam’s presentation. Bobby bid the barrel up $1,000. And then re-donated it to be bid on again. Buckets were passed around for more donations. As I sit writing this, the Gould’s are returning from Dr. Stewart’s clinic.

This is a quote from the Gould’s:

“We want to thanks Bobby Barter and all the Barrel racers out there that have made it possible to get the medical care that is needed for Benjamin. Without everyone’s support he wouldn’t be where he is going now.
Thank you all so much.
Tamet, Bob and Joseph”

To read Ben’s story you can go to www.ebarrelracing.com and then click on Benjamin’s Diary.

After the last run was made the excitement started up once again for all the divisional winners. The grand prize drawing was about to begin with just one winner not present.

Jana Riley ran the fastest time of 15.129 on PC Boons Girl and set the time for all of the other divisional winners. Debbie Richardson on Johnny Guy Sticker won the 2-D with a 15.633. Marchetta Garrett on Hunka Iron won the 3-D with a 16.129. Stephanie Hall on Maserati won the 4-D with a time of 16.631. Becky Southard on Two White Sox won the 5-D with a time of 17.1300. Kena Davies on Ryon’s Mr. America won the 6-D with a 17.630.

All of the divisional winners entered the arena except for Stephanie Hall that was one her cell phone with TC Long during the ceremonies. The cash box was locked and 6 keys were thrown into a hat and every winner proceeded to draw a key with Bobby drawing for the absent Stephanie.

Jana tried her key first followed by Debbie. Marchetta slowly tried her key and then it was Bobby’s turn and the winner emerged. Stephanie told me her heart was beating and she could hardly breath. She could her the audience but wasn’t sure she had won and wasn’t getting answers to her question, “Did my key work? Did my key work?” Finally TC answered her with, “You just won $10,000.” A breathless Shephanie tried to scream but the scream just wouldn’t come out only a broken, “I just won $10,000!”
Yes, Stephanie had just won the grand prize of $10,000., $3,000. for winning the 4-D, diesel money and a beautiful Double J Saddlery saddle. Not bad for a retired 23 year old gelding and his 25 year old rider but then that’s another whole story.

While I was walking around and taking pictures, everyone I spoke to couldn’t say enough about this race. Even contestants that had tipped barrels and fell in the cracks said this had been the most fun they had ever had at a barrel race. I couldn’t agree more. Bobby doesn’t put on a barrel race. He puts on an extravaganza.

So many competitors were talking about how they were going to try to figure out how to make it to the Florida race. If you’re thinking about going you better get your entries in now. I will for warn you. There is a reason for the warning on the bottom of Bobby’s flyers his races are that addicting!

The final payout for Waco:

$ 10,000 Grand prize
$ 20,000 Diesel Money Jackpot
$ 95,200 Main 6-D Race
$ 17,808 Rider Incentive Payout
$ 15,694 Horse Incentive Payout

$158,702 Total Cash Payout

$ 39,000 in Prizes

$197,702 Grand Total in Cash and Prizes

I never thought I would see this kind of payout in divisional barrel racing!  This is just the beginning!
Hope to see you in Jacksonville.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.