Draw and Live Results
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Tues prior
8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: BESS CHANEY IN ACCIDENT  (Read 19639 times)

Offline cold n classy

• Dinosaur!
BESS CHANEY IN ACCIDENT
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
I wanted to post and make everyone aware of the situtation on Bess Chaney.....

Bess works on a ranch in the East Texas area and somehow fell from a retaining wall.  As a result of the fall, Bess received a compression fracture in her neck.  After conversations with Michele McLeod which is like family to Bess, her prognosis is very poor.  She had some movement prior to surgery.  They performed surgery and placed a rod in Bess's neck.  After surgery, and due to some complications, she has had only involuntary sporadic movement in her right shoulder but outside of that, no signs of any movement and is paralyzed from the neck down.  She is currently in ICU and has large amounts of swelling in her arms, hands and still swelling in her neck.  They are waiting on the swelling to go down before making any definite prognosis on her future.  She will be transferred, of course, to rehab where she will really need help and support from friends. 

Bess doesn't have any family in the East Texas area outside of the people she was working for (which are very close to her).  She is currently at ETMC in Tyler.  She does not have any health insurance and at this time, I was informed they are selling her truck to help cover a few of the costs.  She is of course, having different emotions as anyone would expect, when people have gone to see her.  Michele informed me that people can email her and the nurses read the emails to Bess--which she has truly loved!!  I will go on the website and list the steps for anyone that would like to email her!  It doesn't matter if you know her or not....we all know that in the barrel racing world, we "cowgirl up" when someone is hurt or needs strength. 

For those that don't know her, Bess just moved her a few years ago from California (that's how I've always understood it anyway) helping work on a ranch.  She has frequented barrel races in Marshall and surrounding areas for a couple years now.  There are several people that would know her if they saw her.  She is a really quiet lady but EXTREMELY friendly and a wonderful person.  She has always been a wonderful inspiration to me at the barrel races just by her positive outlook on things.  She has a dark complexion, dark hair and you would always see her walking through the arena at Marshall with her red heeler that just loved attention (and any food you would give him!)  For those that know people by what they ride (and you know we all do that), she rode the neatest little blood bay gelding that was as honest as the day is long!  I don't think there was a time that went by that she didn't walk up and hug my neck!!!  WONDERFUL PERSON!!!!

My request to everyone on ebarrelracing is to PPPLLLEEEASSSSEEE put Bess on your prayer list!!!  I know doctors have good ideas but it is definitely in the hands of the Lord to have her walking or at least allow her some movement to where she can be somewhat independent! 

I know there are talks of having fundraisers already in our area and as I get more information, I will keep everyone posted!  I am also going to call and see about setting up a bank account for her for anyone that may want to make donations but not sure what all is involved--will post if I can get it done here.  I know things are tight right now, fuel prices are through the roof but we are in far better situations than Bess is at the moment. 

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to give me a call at 903.720.6421.

SHE NEEDS LOTS OF PRAYERS!!!!
To be a champion inside the arena, be a champion outside the arena!  (Deb Mohon's words to me-1999)

I ride in hopes and prayers that Bess may walk again one day!

Offline CaughtYawl

• Fossil
Re: BESS CHANEY IN ACCIDENT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »
Oh my! Prayers for Bess.

Offline Christi

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
 <(' ')>
‎"Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy."
~ Norman Vincent Peale

Offline cold n classy

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
TO EMAIL BESS CHANEY.....

GO TO WWW.ETMC.ORG
CLICK ON "EMAIL A PATIENT" WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PAGE ABOUT HALF WAY DOWN
CLICK ON "SEND AN EMAIL TO TYLER PATIENT"
ENTER NAME - BESS CHANEY
ENTER ROOM # - 3361
COMPLETE REMAINING INFORMATION....

To be a champion inside the arena, be a champion outside the arena!  (Deb Mohon's words to me-1999)

I ride in hopes and prayers that Bess may walk again one day!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 03:05:35 PM »
May God bless her and keep her.   May he surround her with Drs that listen to His word and be open to the wisdom that God makes available to them.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
OH, My.......Many Prayers!  <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

Offline up the middle

• Mega Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  will be praying
Dont blame me, I voted for the other guy

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Many hugs and prayers for her!  <(' ')>
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

Offline Woodys Mama

• Dinosaur!
  • Woody Rock'n & Roll'n
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
prayers for bess!!!
Live life like you were dying, let the people and animals CLOSE to you know you love them!!!

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
Whoa!  Bess' story just brought tears to my eyes.  I hugged everyone around me.  Life can change so fast.

Dear Lord, Please hold Bess in Your hands tightly.  Please heal her injured neck in any way that You choose.  Place doctors in her presence that will listen to Your wisdom and do what is right for her.  Place friends in her presence that lift her up, never failing to encourage her.  Place nurses in her presence that care for her gently.  Keep Bess in our prayers, reminding You and her of our love for this lady and how much we want her whole again.  Please let Bess be someone whose name and the word miracle come in the same sentence when speaking of her in the years to come because of her great healing. In Jesus' name, Amen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:28:18 PM by Katy Holloway »
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline Deedoe

• Mega Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »
 <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>  many prayers   <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>
*****the hardest part of riding....is the ground!!*****

Offline turninthree

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
I pray God will truly bless and heal Bess.  She sounds like a wonderful person. 

Offline LBrune

• Mega Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »
Prayers for Bess.  God give her doctors infinite knowledge in knowing how to handle her case. <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

Offline tilted c

• Veteran Member
  • ~Boondock & Me~
    • Tilted C Barrel Horses
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »
 0:)    <(' ')>   Many, many prayers being sent her way!
~Tilted C Barrel Horses~

Offline cjakerock

• Mega Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:07:46 AM »
Many  <(' ')> prayers to Bess that when the swelling goes down the outlook is good.
Till we meet again, I love you Dad 1/25/35 - 4/30/11